I view being a Singaporean as a "double edged sword"
No doubt Singapore boasts itself as one of the most advanced and developed nations in the world, with a world class transport system (I swear my life upon this. Even better than Japan), a safe country to live in etc.
These come with a high cost -> a heavy burden to its only resources, which is Singaporeans themselves. Being reliant on human capital, our competitive advantage lies in our "so-called" bilingualism and productivity. However, this advantage comes along with intense competition. Far too much competition. Only being competitive ensures our survival in this globally integrated world.
A simple comparison with the ang mohs and the Scandanavian states reveals that Singaporeans are indeed placed in a much intense competition, in terms of job prospects, education etc. These ang mohs really knows how to enjoy their life, compared to us - they can party on Wed to Sunday, backpack travelling for few months etc. I suppose with an initial lower stress level, a nice welfare system back in their country, they have the " essential capital" to lam nua as compared to us. Even if they go back to their country unemployed, they still receive $$$$. =.=
Somehow, the grass on the other side is always greener. I always envy rural people for being able to lead a simple and carefree life - no competition etc. They are also self dependent by rearing their own animals and growing their own crops. I do not mind leading this kind of life at all actually!
I wish I would be self sufficient by 40 ( assuming I do not die, get seriously sick or tied to Singapore) and begin my travel around the world! =D
Its always nice to have a dream. For dreams drive human forward.
Saturday, February 20, 2010
Being a Singaporean
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment