Thursday, October 21, 2010

Letters to Juliet and Wallstreet



















I enjoyed this movie ( on my iPhone ).. Best watched with a chick though. =p

















Okay, the main emphasis of this entry is on this movie: Wallstreet.

I think I pretty much enjoyed this as well, considering though its been shot in 1985 and the pace of the movie is somewhat slow.

However I am REALLY impressed by Gekko(Michael Douglas), on a scene where he flamed the BODs and the CEO of a paper firm. I wouldn't say Gekko is a saint but I absolutely agreed with his greed sense:

"Greed is right, greed is good and greed works...."

As mentioned in the Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith, no butcher will offer you meat out of goodwill. It is the greed (profit maximizing behavior) that causes him to offer you his pork at a price - don't think he said this exactly but that was what he meant. It is capitalism, the greed embedded in this system that causes most innovations, corporate America, the bankers in Wallstreet and ultimately the financial crisis.

I also liked the part when Bud (Charlie Sheen) confronts Gekko and asked him how much money is enough to him. I seriously haven't thought how much money is enough for me but I guess if I start quantifying the amount I need, its going to be helpful as I will have a goal to work towards.

P.S: How much money is enough for you guys out there?

1 comment:

echi said...

There's a remake or sth of Wall Street this year. My bro watched it and said its really boring. ha~