Working at the frontier (discipline) of the education system gives me alot of exposure: handling of juvenile / delinquents. And such exposures leads to a single and firm conclusion: the PARENTS are entirely responsible for their children.
Its really common to hear children in my working place hurling vulgarities at their very own parents during parent / teacher conference. Not mentioning teachers like us. Why would such happened in the first place? I would dare to say that these delinquents were NOT RAISED properly in the first place. Obviously there is a system breakdown at home which leads to these vicious cycles: child not taught properly when young> come to school and misbehaves> called parents but nothing could be done (child already hardcore case)> child still recalcitrant > still misbehaves ...
I would say academic education should be carried out by teachers, but the character education part should be done at home. Don't make this part of education the school's problem. When I see children hurling vulgarities, disrespecting teachers (even the nicest one around), it shows alot of parenting at home. Its a mirror image of what's happening at their home. Parent hurl vulgarities, not role models at home (either busy working or can't be bothered)..
A recent case of 2 couples hanky panky in the school further exposes the parenting flaws. I wouldn't blame them for being so "mutually curious" but would blame the parents for raising such children. Why? Cause they weren't taught by their papa / mama that boy shouldn't touch girl, vice versa at such tender age, and especially in school.
The more I work in this field, the more I pity these children. They are so young, so naive and yet so misguided.
The role models aren't there for them, after all.
Tuesday, May 20, 2008
Sad thoughts
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment